GOP governor orders Confederate flag to fly Sunday in Missouri
JOE
2005-06-04 00:10:20 UTC
Jun. 3, 2005
Confederate flag to fly Sunday in Missouri

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - The Confederate flag is rising again in
Missouri, and an NAACP leader is vowing a "drastic" response.

Republican Gov. Matt Blunt has ordered the Confederate flag to fly
Sunday at the Confederate Memorial State Historic Site in
Higginsville.

Blunt directed the Confederate flag to fly Sunday at the request of
Rep. Mike McGhee, R-Odessa, whose district includes the historical
site. "Those soldiers died for that flag. That's the one day honoring
those soldiers and it should fly for that day," McGhee said....

Missouri never joined the Confederacy, but was a divided state during
the Civil War, with some residents fighting for the Union and some for
the Confederacy.

<< SNIP >>
r***@pcpostal.com
2005-06-04 01:05:44 UTC
Post by JOE
Jun. 3, 2005
Confederate flag to fly Sunday in Missouri
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - The Confederate flag is rising again in
Missouri, and an NAACP leader is vowing a "drastic" response.
Republican Gov. Matt Blunt has ordered the Confederate flag to fly
Sunday at the Confederate Memorial State Historic Site in
Higginsville.
Blunt directed the Confederate flag to fly Sunday at the request of
Rep. Mike McGhee, R-Odessa, whose district includes the historical
site. "Those soldiers died for that flag. That's the one day honoring
those soldiers and it should fly for that day," McGhee said....
Missouri never joined the Confederacy, but was a divided state during
the Civil War, with some residents fighting for the Union and some for
the Confederacy.
<< SNIP >>
Whats wrong with That???

These men fought and died for a noble cause and not just for slavery
but for States Rights. Oh now I know Thats Whats Wrong.
bernard spilman
2005-06-04 01:14:12 UTC
Post by r***@pcpostal.com
Post by JOE
Jun. 3, 2005
[...]
Being from North Carolina, I question the propriety of their
using it in official ceremonies considering they were never a part
of the Confederacy. Seems that they're trying to have it both ways.
WS
r***@comcast.net
2005-06-04 01:55:20 UTC
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 01:14:12 GMT, "bernard spilman"
Post by bernard spilman
Post by r***@pcpostal.com
These men fought and died for a noble cause and not just for slavery
but for States Rights. Oh now I know Thats Whats Wrong.
Being from North Carolina, I question the propriety of their
using it in official ceremonies considering they were never a part
of the Confederacy. Seems that they're trying to have it both ways.
WS
"They" aren't doing anything. A gop flack Governor is trying to get
brownie points from his right wing fringe.

--------
Cheney's Endorsement of Arthur Andersen Accounting

"The company [Halliburton] obviously has a long historic relationship
with Arthur Andersen. It's been a very important part of the business.
. . ."They also have, uh, one of the things I like that they do for us,
is in effect, I get good advice, if you will, from their people based on
how we're doing business, over and above the sort normal by-the-books
auditing arrangement."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/video/38127000/rm/_38127586_andersen-promo_vi.ram
bernard spilman
2005-06-04 03:29:03 UTC
Post by bernard spilman
Post by r***@pcpostal.com
These men fought and died for a noble cause and not just for slavery
but for States Rights. Oh now I know Thats Whats Wrong.
Being from North Carolina, I question the propriety of their
using it in official ceremonies considering they were never a part
of the Confederacy. Seems that they're trying to have it both ways.
WS
"They" aren't doing anything. A gop flack Governor is trying to get
brownie points from his right wing fringe.
Yep, that's pretty much what it smells like
to me.
WS
r***@comcast.net
2005-06-04 01:54:41 UTC
Post by r***@pcpostal.com
Post by JOE
Missouri never joined the Confederacy, but was a divided state during
the Civil War, with some residents fighting for the Union and some for
the Confederacy.
<< SNIP >>
Whats wrong with That???
These men fought and died for a noble cause and not just for slavery
but for States Rights. Oh now I know Thats Whats Wrong.
Maybe Germany should fly the swastika on Armistice day as well?

--------

Salad
2005-06-04 06:24:12 UTC
Post by r***@comcast.net
Post by r***@pcpostal.com
Post by JOE
Missouri never joined the Confederacy, but was a divided state during
the Civil War, with some residents fighting for the Union and some for
the Confederacy.
<< SNIP >>
Whats wrong with That???
These men fought and died for a noble cause and not just for slavery
but for States Rights. Oh now I know Thats Whats Wrong.
Maybe Germany should fly the swastika on Armistice day as well?
Makes about as much sense as the MO governer's reasoning.

Why does the right go out of its way to spread dissension?
r***@comcast.net
2005-06-04 06:39:53 UTC
Post by Salad
Post by r***@comcast.net
Maybe Germany should fly the swastika on Armistice day as well?
Makes about as much sense as the MO governer's reasoning.
Why does the right go out of its way to spread dissension?
Because they have to divide the lunatic fringe off from the common man
to assemble their "majority". Racists, bigots, anti-imigrants,
theocrats, RR, on and on. They can assemble a melange of anger and
sickness and motivate them to vote.

--------

horndog
2005-06-04 06:21:52 UTC
Post by r***@pcpostal.com
Post by JOE
Jun. 3, 2005
[...]
i wonder how vietnam vets would feel if i flew the vietnamese flag on
their independence day (which was on 30 april, they call it reunification
day...) the north fought for a noble cause..to reunify their country and
for its independence from foreign rulers and influence. now, if you want
to say communism is worse than slavery then go ahead.
gk
Yup, the state's right to have slavery.
Chief
2005-06-04 04:10:01 UTC
Post by JOE
Jun. 3, 2005
Confederate flag to fly Sunday in Missouri
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - The Confederate flag is rising again in
Missouri, and an NAACP leader is vowing a "drastic" response.
Republican Gov. Matt Blunt has ordered the Confederate flag to fly
Sunday at the Confederate Memorial State Historic Site in
Higginsville.
Blunt directed the Confederate flag to fly Sunday at the request of
Rep. Mike McGhee, R-Odessa, whose district includes the historical
site. "Those soldiers died for that flag. That's the one day honoring
those soldiers and it should fly for that day," McGhee said....
Missouri never joined the Confederacy, but was a divided state during
the Civil War, with some residents fighting for the Union and some for
the Confederacy.
<< SNIP >>
Let's fly the British flag one Sunday to honor the fallen soldiers on the
British side of the American Revolution many of those were southern
Americans also.

The Confederate soldiers lost the Civil War. They deserved to lose, and
it's good they lost. They deserve no honor from this country because they
added nothing to this country other than it's worst war.
BlackWater
2005-06-04 06:37:09 UTC
Post by JOE
Jun. 3, 2005
Confederate flag to fly Sunday in Missouri
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - The Confederate flag is rising again in
Missouri, and an NAACP leader is vowing a "drastic" response.
Republican Gov. Matt Blunt has ordered the Confederate flag to fly
Sunday at the Confederate Memorial State Historic Site in
Higginsville.
Blunt directed the Confederate flag to fly Sunday at the request of
Rep. Mike McGhee, R-Odessa, whose district includes the historical
site. "Those soldiers died for that flag. That's the one day honoring
those soldiers and it should fly for that day," McGhee said....
Missouri never joined the Confederacy, but was a divided state during
the Civil War, with some residents fighting for the Union and some for
the Confederacy.
Then fly BOTH flags ... that of the CSA and that used by
the union at the time. 'Historical' displays should be
balanced and accurate.
Name Redacted
2005-06-04 19:01:28 UTC
Post by BlackWater
Post by JOE
Jun. 3, 2005
[...]
Should the Swastika be flown over german graveyards of
WWII? Do you "honor" traitors and slavers? Envy?
BlackWater
2005-06-04 21:17:56 UTC
Post by Name Redacted
Post by BlackWater
Post by JOE
Jun. 3, 2005
[...]
If a German soldier died for Germany - then I'd say fly
a regular German flag. SS types - who died for Hitler -
I'm not sure they deserve any respect at all. They
were not decent men engaged in respectable business.

The CSA soldiers mostly WERE decent men, fighting
what they saw as the good cause of freedom and
independence from an oppressor. They may have
been mistaken, but they weren't evil.
Name Redacted
2005-06-06 19:19:30 UTC
Post by BlackWater
Post by Name Redacted
Post by BlackWater
Post by JOE
Jun. 3, 2005
[...]
What, you don't like people who enslave and kill for
fun and profit????
Post by BlackWater
The CSA soldiers mostly WERE decent men, fighting
what they saw as the good cause of freedom
...and pro slavery... Oops, "freedom" and "slavery"
sound so, I don't know, contradictory???

and
Post by BlackWater
independence from an oppressor. They may have
been mistaken, but they weren't evil.
Oh, you do like people who enslave and kill for
fun and profit.

Yeah, all those plantation owners, with their
"bed-warmers" just the kind of people *you'd* want
to associate with and have your daughter marry.

Traitors. Your kind of folk.
r***@comcast.net
2005-06-06 19:57:10 UTC
Post by Name Redacted
Post by BlackWater
If a German soldier died for Germany - then I'd say fly
a regular German flag. SS types - who died for Hitler -
I'm not sure they deserve any respect at all. They
were not decent men engaged in respectable business.
What, you don't like people who enslave and kill for
fun and profit????
I mean their belt buckles even said "God is with us".

"The highest patriotism is not a blind acceptance
of official policy, but a love of one's country
deep enough to call her to a higher standard."
--George McGovern