FBI: 512 gun sales a day slipped through checks last year
Buy My Guns!
2021-10-18 21:03:32 UTC
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-512-gun-sales-a-day-slipped-
through-checks-last-year/

BRIDGEPORT, W.Va. -- More gun sales than ever are slipping
through the federal background check system - 186,000 last year,
a rate of 512 gun sales a day, as states fail to consistently
provide thorough, real-time updates on criminal and mental
histories to the FBI.

At no time of year is this problem more urgent. This Friday
opens the busiest season for gun purchases, when requests for
background checks speed up to nearly two a second, testing the
limits of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System,
or NICS.

The stakes are high: In the U.S., there are already nine guns
for every 10 people, and someone is killed with a firearm every
16 minutes. Mass shootings are happening every few weeks.

"We have a perfect storm coming," FBI manager Kimberly Del Greco
told The Associated Press during a rare glimpse into the inner
workings of the system.

Much of the responsibility for preventing criminals and the
mentally ill from buying guns is shouldered by about 500 men and
women who run the system from inside the FBI's criminal justice
center, a gray office building with concrete walls and mirrored
windows just outside Bridgeport, West Virginia.

By federal law, NICS researchers must race against the clock:
They have until the end of the third business day following an
attempted firearm purchase to determine whether or not a buyer
is eligible.

"They won't proceed or deny a transaction unless they are
ABSOLUTELY certain the information they have is correct and
sufficient to sustain that decision," FBI spokesman Stephen G.
Fischer told the AP.

In roughly two percent of the checks handled by the FBI, agents
don't get this information in time. If three business days pass
without a federal response, buyers can legally get their guns,
whether or not the check was completed.

Americans are buying more than twice as many guns a year now as
they did when the background checks were first implemented in
1998. And that means more gun sales are effectively beating the
system.

The federal government often takes the heat in debates over gun
rights, but the FBI says states are largely to blame for this
problem. They voluntarily submit records, which are often
missing information about mental health rulings or criminal
convictions, and aren't always rapidly updated to reflect
restraining orders or other urgent reasons to deny a sale.

"We are stewards of the states' records," Del Greco said. "It's
really critical that we have accurate information. Sometimes we
just don't."

There are more than 48,000 gun retailers in the U.S., from Wal-
Mart stores to local pawn shops. Store clerks can use the FBI's
online E-Check System, which federal officials say is more
efficient. But nearly half the checks are phoned in. Three call
centers - in Kentucky, Texas, and Wheeling, W.Va. - take these
calls from 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. every day but Christmas.

NICS did about 58,000 checks on a typical day last year. That
surged to 145,000 on Black Friday 2013. They're bringing in 100
more workers than usual for the post-Thanksgiving rush this year.

The call centers have no access to privileged information about
buyers' backgrounds, and make no decisions. They just type in
their name, address, birthdate, Social Security Number and other
information into the system. On Black Fridays, the work can be
grueling: One woman took a call that lasted four hours when a
dealer phoned in the maximum 99 checks.

"Rules had to be stretched," recalled Sam Demarco, her
supervisor. "We can't transfer calls. Someone had to sit in her
seat for her while she went to the bathroom."

In the years since these background checks were required, about
71 percent have found no red flags and produced instant
approvals.

But ten factors can disqualify gun purchasers: a felony
conviction, an arrest warrant, a documented drug problem or
mental illness, undocumented immigration status, a dishonorable
military discharge, a renunciation of U.S. citizenship, a
restraining order, a history of domestic violence, or an
indictment for any crime punishable by longer than one year of
prison time.

Any sign that one of these factors could be in a buyer's
background produces a red-flag, which sends the check to the FBI
researchers to approve, deny or investigate. They scour state
records in the federal database, and often call local
authorities for more information.

"It takes a lot of effort ... for an examiner to go out and look
at court reports, look at judges' documents, try to find a final
disposition so we can get back to a gun dealer on whether they
can sell that gun or not," Del Greco said. "And we don't always
get back to them."

These workers have considerable responsibility, but little
independent authority. They must use skill and judgment,
balancing the rights of gun owners and the need to keep would-be
killers from getting firearms.

Researcher Valerie Sargo said outstanding warrants often come up
when they examine a red flag, and that can help police make
arrests.

"It makes you feel good that this person is not supposed to have
a firearm and you kept it out of their hands," she said.

It also weighs on them when the red flags aren't resolved in
time. Tacked to a cubicle wall, a sign reads: "Our policy is to
ALWAYS blame the computer."

FBI contractors and employees oversaw more than 9 million checks
in the first full year, when the NICS system was established as
part of Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1998. By last
year, they oversaw more than 21 million. In all, only 1.25
percent of attempted purchases are denied. Denials can be
appealed.

People can get guns without background checks in many states by
buying weapons at gun shows or from individuals, a loophole the
National Rifle Association does not want closed. But even the
NRA agrees that the NICS system needs better data.

"Any database is only going to function as well as the
information contained within," NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam
said.

Del Greco doesn't see the states' data improving soon, which
only adds to the immense challenge of getting through huge
numbers of requisite checks on Black Friday.

A CBS News poll in December revealed Americans overwhelmingly
support a federal law requiring background checks on all
potential gun buyers, a measure that has so far failed to be put
into law.

Klaus Schadenfreude
2021-10-18 22:24:02 UTC
On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:03:32 +0200 (CEST), "Buy My Guns!"
Post by Buy My Guns!
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-512-gun-sales-a-day-slipped-
through-checks-last-year/
BRIDGEPORT, W.Va. -- More gun sales than ever are slipping
through the federal background check system - 186,000 last year,
a rate of 512 gun sales a day, as states fail to consistently
provide thorough, real-time updates on criminal and mental
histories to the FBI.
OMG! OMG!

So out of 21 million checks, that's 186,880. That's almost a whole
percentage point!
Intelligent Party
2021-10-18 23:14:33 UTC
There should be no background check to buy a gun. You people conducting
background checks are complete criminals and I condemn you. I don't agree to give
my name to buy a gun. This is so outrageous, and I hate you so much I cannot even
describe it. While "thug life" gangsters, and mere mal-intent with a weapon could
be condemned, like malintent with burglary tools, which is a legal theory, no
"mentally ill" person, nor person who would have failed a background check, has
ever committed a massacre. Background checks are complete racism and crime, and
gun registration, and I 100% condemn them in the strongest terms possible. They
are under color of law and a crime, I 100% have a right to have what you idiots
call "military weapons" without a permit, which are only guns and bomb.

ALL WEAPONS ARE 100% LEGAL. THE CONSTITUTION SO SAYS, AND SAYS THE TRUTH THAT IS
A FACT WITHOUT THE CONSTITUTION! ALL "LAWS" AGAINST WEAPONS ARE UNDER COLOR OF
LAW AND A CRIME, LIKE THE LAWS MADE BY HITLER WHICH BOTH OUTLAWED WEAPONS AND
KILLED THE JEWS. THESE LAWS ARE TRULY A THREAT TO NATIONAL SECURITY FURTHERMORE
AND YOUR AND MY SELF DEFENSE. I DEMAND THE PERPETRATORS OF THESE CRIMES CEASE AND
DESIST CONDUCTING BACKGROUND CHECKS IMMEDIATELY, AND AND SUCH THREATENERS WHO
FOLLOW THROUGH ON THEIR THREATS, AND PERPETRATORS BE BROUGHT TO JUSTICE NOW TODAY!!!
into law.
Intelligent Party
2021-10-18 23:32:08 UTC
Post by Intelligent Party
[...]
It's not that they "followed through," it's that they "follow through," they're
part of a criminal organization or enterprise like thug life!

We should just round up all the bloods and the crips, and every other gang, and
set their minds straight, of course unequal poverty in this society will never set
things straight, and arrest is bad enough though I guess it goes on so rampantly
with 27,000 arrests per day (10 million per year) that it can work.

But we'll never have justice in America with unequal consumption. Perhaps we
should all have equal consumption for an hour worked, and the bonuses be
unspendable, but you can control companies with them.