Oh gee. 80-year-old California man shoots faux-pregnant drug addict burglar.
Dick Hum
2021-10-16 10:26:50 UTC
Tough shit ain't it?

LONG BEACH >> A man was charged with the murder of his alleged
accomplice — a pregnant woman — who was shot and killed by an 80-
year-old man who found the two ransacking his Los Cerritos home
late Tuesday, authorities said.

Police have not arrested the homeowner, Tom Greer, who told news
media he shot the woman while she was running away — even after
she told him she was pregnant while pleading for her life.
Appearing to evince no regret, Tom Greer told NBC4 that he shot
the woman twice in the back as she was fleeing along a side
street with a male accomplice, identified by police Thursday as
Gus Adams, 26, of Long Beach.

“She says, ‘Don’t shoot me, I’m pregnant — I’m going to have a
baby.’ And I shot her anyway,” Greer said. “The lady didn’t run
as fast as the man so I shot her in the back twice, she’s dead
... but he got away.”

The woman fatally shot was identified by police as Andrea
Miller, 28, of Long Beach. An autopsy was performed Thursday,
but a spokesman from the coroner’s office said no other
information will be released until they reach Miller’s next of
kin.

Adams has been arrested on suspicion of residential robbery and
murder for being an accomplice to the crime, and is expected be
arraigned today, Long Beach Police Chief Jim McDonnell said at
an afternoon press conference Thursday. His bail is set at about
$1 million.

Asked to explain the rationale for the murder charge, McDonnell
said: “If you’re involved in the commission of a felony and a
party is killed, then you’re party to that.”

Both Adams and Miller also had criminal histories “consistent
with this crime,” the chief said.

As far as Greer, McDonnell said detectives are aware of his
statements to the media and are reviewing them as part of the
ongoing investigation.

Greer told detectives that he has been victim to three prior
burglaries in which cash and valuables were taken, McDonnell
said. Greer believed that Miller and Adams were responsible for
those burglaries.

Greer, who appeared on television with his arm in a sling,
suffered a broken collar bone and bruises in the incident,
police said. He said he was treated at a hospital for his
injuries.

The shooting occurred in the 3900 block of Country Club Drive,
an upscale neighborhood in the Bixby Knolls area.

Cases involving use of deadly force in self-defense — and the so-
called “stand your ground” laws — have sprung into the national
spotlight in recent years, most notably with the 2012 shooting
of Trayvon Martin.

Although California has not adopted such a law, rulings by the
state’s judges have consistently, albeit informally, upheld a
“stand your ground” policy.

In deciphering guilt or innocence in these cases, jurors are
told that a person defending themselves or others is not
required to retreat. The person is entitled to stand their
ground and, “if reasonably necessary, to pursue an assailant
until the danger ... has passed. This is so even if safety could
have been achieved by retreating,” according to jury
instructions that are based on state law.

Even though the woman was running away, Greer said he regards
what he did as self-defense. He said he arrived at home Tuesday
night to find a couple in the middle of a late-night break-in.

“When I went in there, they tackled me,” Greer told NBC4. “Both
of them jumped up on top of me.”

The legal lines, it seems, of when self-defense ends and murder
or manslaughter begin are blurred.

“When does a crime end?” said Doug Otto, a Long Beach defense
attorney. “When do you lose your right to defense of habitation?”

The test, Otto said, is whether one feels threatened; you can’t
kill someone merely because they’ve trespassed.

Cynthia, a Los Cerritos resident who did want her last name
used, said the neighborhood has experienced a rash of break-ins
in the last few years.

Media vans were parked in the 3900 block of Country Club Drive
outside Greer’s home Thursday morning, but there was no sign
that anyone was inside.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Contact Greg Yee at 562-499-1476.

http://www.presstelegram.com/general-news/20140724/long-beach-
man-shoots-fleeing-burglary-suspect-who-said-she-was-pregnant

Klaus Schadenfreude